Our nation's oldest state capitol building in continuous legislative use is Maryland's State House in Annapolis. The Old Senate Chamber, where George Washington came to resign his commission as commander in chief of the Continental Army in 1783, has been maintained to look much as it did on that momentous occasion.
Fine arts displayed include furniture by cabinetmaker John Shaw, and paintings by Charles Willson Peale and Edwin White. A Benjamin Franklin lightning rod tops the wooden exterior of the state house dome.
The House of Worship, Saint Anne's Parish, was built in 1859 in the Romanesque Revival style, and is the third church building on this location. Directly outside the church are burial grounds dating from 1695 to 1790.
Several prominent figures from Annapolis' past have resting places here. A set of communion silver made in England in 1696 and sent over by King William III is still in use today. The Saint Anne's window given to the church in 1893 was designed by Tiffany Studios.
A half-hour tea stop or lunch.
Tour Annapolis' outstanding townhouses from the “Golden Age.” The Hammond-Harwood House (1774) is said to have the most beautiful doorway in Colonial America. The last project of the renowned architect, William Buckland, this National Historic Landmark contains an outstanding collection of John Shaw furniture and Charles Willson Peale paintings.
The Chase-Lloyd House was begun in 1769 by Samuel Chase, one of Maryland's signers of the Declaration of Independence, and finished by Edward Lloyd IV, who employed assistance from William Buckland.
The floating hallway staircase is overlooked by a spectacular Palladian window. The first-floor rooms feature outstanding plasterwork and period furnishings.
Complete your tour at the Paca House gardens, touring the restored two-acre pleasure garden, which includes a fishpond with a bridge and a two-story Summer House.
This five-part mansion and gardens was built in 1763-65 by William Paca, a three-term governor of Maryland, and another of Maryland's signers of the Declaration of Independence.
The Grand Houses tour is available as a private tour only. Please contact us at 410-248-6726 for more infomration
Purchase tickets by phone: